REVISED Mar 15, 2013




As far as we are aware all US citizens are required to have a passport, for re-entry into United States .


LAND AND SEA TRAVEL: The following summarizes information available on the Department of Homeland Security’s website



 JANUARY 1, 2009 U.S. citizens will need to present either a WHTI-compliant document, or a U.S. passport; a U.S. passport card; a trusted traveler card such as NEXUS, FAST, or SENTRI; a valid Merchant Mariner Document (MMD) when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business; or a valid U.S. Military identification card when traveling on official orders.


Note: The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory.


Fisherman: Live bait is recommended for Walleye, minnows in spring and fall, and night crawlers in July and August. Minnows and night crawlers are available at our store on Ivanhoe Lake and can also be dropped off midweek to our fly in cottages. Only Ontario residents are permitted to bring a small minnow seine net and minnow traps. All individuals over 18 must have in their possession a valid fishing license. All Non-resident children accompanied by an immediate family member under the age of 18 are not required to purchase a license, however they are fishing under the adults limit of fish. If the child under 18 would like his/her own limit of fish they have the right to purchase a license.


Hunters: POSITELY NO HANDGUNS are allowed in Canada . Hunting licenses are available at our floatplane base (The Ivanhoe River Inn). Proof of past hunting experience is required to purchase any hunting license in Ontario. An old hunting license from any State or Province is adequate. Eighteen is the minimum age to bring in a hunting rifle or shotgun and 200 rounds of ammunition for hunting purposes. Currently fully automatic weapons and guns less than 66 cm (26 inches) in length are prohibited. For more information on importing firearms check the internet.


Hunters must register firearms when they enter Canada . We recommend when you arrive at the Canadian Customs have the Make/Model and Serial # on paper for registration. The fee to bring up to 3 guns into Canada is $50 Canadian. Please remember it is illegal to borrow a gun, while you are in Canada , so each hunter should bring and register their own weapons. Also for ease of re-entry back into the US you might stop at the US customs and register your weapons with them this will help with re-entry into US after your hunt as well.


ARRIVAL AT THE IVANHOE RIVER INN (FLOATPLANE BASE) The office opens at 6.30 AM Friday, 6 AM Saturday, 7 AM on Sunday and 8 AM Monday through Thursday. If you arrive during the night feel free to park or camp at the base. We will fly (weather permitting) on a first come first serve basis. This applies for parties that for example are scheduled to fly in Saturday Morning. If you are scheduled for a PM flight, it is the same idea. The first PM arrival flies in after the AM flights are complete. Exceptions: Tenting and charter parties fly when OUR camps are finished. We recommend for these groups that our schedule usually opens up after lunch Friday/Saturday and Sunday. We try to send both floatplanes to Nemegosenda Lake lodge at 7 AM on Saturday and we need 8 persons ready for 7 AM Saturday morning. Once we have done the initial flight into Nemegosenda Lake Lodge we leave one DHC-2 Beaver aircraft on the Nemegosenda changeover and utilize the other aircraft for our Saturday AM flights. A number of parties arrive the night before their departure, and the first AM flight should be ready to fly by 8 AM for the regular camp turnover. This is important because most of the parties that are out at the lakes are waiting with their gear on the dock to depart and all have long drives to get home. If our first party is not ready to go, then this causes us to make everyone behind you to wait. On the following week rotation the same will apply to you, so if you do not want to be party #1 please let us know and we will rotate someone else that will be ready to go.


AIRLINE SERVICE INTO TIMMINS ONTARIO: Air Canada –Air Ontario provide air service into Timmins Ontario through Toronto Ontario. We are 70 miles west of Timmins off HWY 101. Phone Air Canada at 1-888-247-2262 or book your tickets online at


TAXI SERVICE: Beal Taxi is approximately $170+ Canadian per Vehicle load. Rates are subject to change. We will arrange your taxi service, or you can phone 705-264-2201. We suggest you request or order a van for you and your cargo. Rental cars are also available at the airport. Enterprise 1-705-264-3227/Avis 705-268-3335/Budget 705-264-2300


RESTAURANT HOURS: The restaurant is open to the public on Thursday from 5PM-9.00 PM and Friday and Saturday from 6.30 AM –9.00 PM and Sunday from 6.30AM-2PM. The restaurant is closed during all other times. We have a license to serve alcohol and it is open from 11 AM until closing. All alcohol can be consumed only in the lodge in designated areas or on the deck. No alcohol is permitted in the parking lot. Please do not bring your alcohol into the licensed lounge. This is against the law. Also please remember that although we have a liquor license we close early, since our prime focus on

our business is running an airline. This can co-exist together, however we are up early and working at getting our aircraft into the air for your vacation.


RAILWAY SERVICE INTO FOLEYET: VIA RAIL Services Foleyet. We will pick you up at the train station. Call 1-888-842-7245 or go to HTTP://


GPS DEVICES: We recommend that you use caution on relying on GPS devices to find your way to Ivanhoe Lake. Most GPS devices will take you on the shortest route, which can and will take you on gravel roads. We offer directions from Sault Ste Marie and Sudbury Ontario on our Website and both these routes, will most likely ask you to take gravel roads. Our recommendation is to stay on well travelled paved roads.


EMERGENCY PHONE (MAJOR ONLY): Family should have our phone number in case there is a major problem at home and you have to be there. All group members should have the number 1-705-899-2155. If they call after 10 PM we will eventually answer the phone. During the day someone should answer immediately. Please note that if you are required to depart early from your vacation this is fine, but please remember how many vehicles you have and it may be necessary for the whole party to go home if you only have 1 vehicle. If it is early in the week there is airline service from Timmins BUT YOU WILL NEED A PASSPORT TO FLY HOME. If it is a non-emergency and you need a message delivered to someone at a remote camp then there will be charges for the flight of $500. So please ensure that people will not call unless it is urgent that you go home. If you need to communicate with work while at a remote vacation site then please rent or bring your own Satellite phone. Cell phones DO NOT WORK!!!.





Passports are required and these are a few other ideas that should be reviewed. Children under 18 traveling with a one parent should have a letter from the other parent authorization the accompanying parent to bring them into Canada . Children under 18 accompanied by no parent should have a letter from both parents signed. This is if grandpa is bringing a young one. Of course these are all good ideas and at times children are asked questions and a proper response from the child will allow them into Canada . But why not take the time and have extra protection. Also if there is an AMBER alert going on at the border, it will make things easier for you if children are present. Also when you go through customs it is best to: Dress normal/take off sunglasses/put away the cell phones/stop chewing gum/do not smoke and wake everybody up. Most custom agents are fine and just doing there job so be nice and answer the questions and it should be no more than a minute of your life. If you get pulled over for an inspection, it happens and again help them if asked and live with it. It might cost you 20 minutes. Also if you are traveling in Multiple vehicles make a pact that the vehicles that get through meet you up the road somewhere. Do not call these people on their cell phone if they are stopped. Let them call you when they are through.  On another note the Canadian customs agent is probably going to ask you if you have any alcohol or tobacco with you. Each person over 19 years old is allowed either 1 case of beer or a bottle of alcohol. This will include any alcohol that you purchased at the duty free store as well. Be honest and if you are not and customs searches the vehicle ALL ALCOHOL will be confiscated and you will be fined. If you are over your limit then tell them and they will charge you duty on the extra. It is usually about the same amount as if you bought it in Canada . (Pretty smart eh!). On another note regarding alcohol, try and have it separated between vehicles, so that each individual has the appropriate amount of alcohol they are allowed to bring into Canada. If the first 6 persons go through the border with no alcohol and the last vehicle with 2 persons has 8 cases, then they will be charged with 6 extra cases, so spreading it out between each vehicle is a good idea. Ok now that we have dispensed with the alcohol each person over 19 is allowed 1 carton of cigarettes, however this only applies if you smoke. If one person needs two cartons for the week and one person does not smoke he should say he does, and you will avoid duty. (Darn those Canucks at the border). Ok so now you did not lie about your alcohol/tobacco/children and you have a valid ID then there is a possibility that they will run your information through their computers and presto if you have anything on your record, it is available. Any felony conviction will cause you grief (assault/burglary etc). The big one at the border is DUI since it is a felony in Canada . The government of the US has what they call felonies or misdemeanors. Canada makes a similar distinction with indictable and summary offenses, with indictable offenses being the more serious. If a foreign conviction equates to one of these dual offenses, it will be equated to an indictable offense. However there is light at the end of the tunnel. If 5 years have passed since the sentence was served, and you have not been convicted of any other offenses then you can apply for Rehabilitation. There is a non-refundable fee of $200 and the paperwork process to complete to be deemed rehabilitated. Generally if you have had a DUI and it has been longer than the 5 years stated above and they run your ID, they will allow you to enter Canada, however every time you do you will pay $200. It is best if you like Canada and are interested in traveling in and out of Canada then do the paperwork and be done with it. If the DUI is under 5 years it is up to the discretion of the officer to allow you or not allow you into Canada, so be nice. Of course if it will cost you $200. And on another note if there is other stuff on your record, other than the DUI it only makes things worse. We have been lobbying the government to stop this baloney on the DUI, but it seems that they are not listening. Go to the website at HTTP:// This will give you the general information necessary to start the process

The main site is HTTP:// If you have no access to a computer you can call the Canadian Consulate in Detroit at 313-567-2085 or Fax at 313-567-2125. The only issue that we are aware of traveling home is make sure you have proper ID and no CUBAN CIGARS returning to the US.


DUTY FREE STORE: The duty free stores are open from 7AM-11PM every day during the summer. Visitors 19 years old and older can purchase 1 liter of liquor or wine (40 oz bottle of alcohol), or 388 imperial ounces of beer, (Case of 24 bottles/cans that are 12 ounces.), 200 cigarettes (one carton), 50 cigars and 400 grams of tobacco. These items can also be brought from home instead of the duty free store. You may import more of these items however you will pay duty. Of course returning to the US we believe the laws are the same.


RADAR WARNING DEVICES: The use or transport of these devices is illegal in Canada . If they find it, consider it history and you will get fined.


GAS STATIONS: All major cities have gas stations, so insure that you are topped up prior to leaving them. For Americans we recommend gassing up just prior to entering Canada . Gas is still cheaper in the US . We have Regular unleaded at the seaplane base (Ivanhoe River Inn). Gasoline is sold in Liters in Canada so if we did the math for our US customers if gas is $.1.30 per liter then this would be $1.30 X 3.75 liters (US Gallon) = $4.87 Canadian per US gallon or $4.87 US if the US $ is at par.


NEAR BY SERVICES: Foleyet has fuel, limited groceries and a liquor/beer store, restaurant and a post office. Ivanhoe Lake has nearby lodging and a provincial park. The Ivanhoe River inn has a restaurant overlooking the lake, gifts, bait & tackle, auto and boat fuel, camping supplies, and smiling faces. Major grocery stores are in Wawa, Chapleau, Timmins, Sault Ste Marie and Sudbury.


PETS: Dogs & Cats over 3 months old entering Canada from the US will need a heath certificate signed by a licensed Vetinarian, and signed and dated that they have been vaccinated against rabies. Animals must have been vaccinated in the last 3 years. The certificate must clearly identify the animal. We also have dogs at the Ivanhoe River Inn so if you are bringing them to stay at either lodge we recommend friendly dogs. We do charge per day for pets. Pets are $8 per day, and if you are flying them in then the weight of the dog is part of your weight limit. If you are flying dogs into the bush we recommend that if they shed, please clean up when you leave and pick up their droppings. This is a courtesy to the following groups.


PAYMENT AT THE LODGE: Cash, Traveler’s checks, Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover and Debit/ Interac (checking account with pin #) cards. Personal checks are only accepted for deposit only. All prices are in Canadian funds. For best rate of exchange on US funds use a Canadian bank. We give a good rate of exchange on US funds and your credit card will offer you a good rate of exchange.


FISH & GAME ACT: While fishing or hunting, each adult must have a valid license in his or her possession. It is an offence to have in your possession more than the legal limit of fish or game allowed per license. (This includes your boat/cabin etc.) It is also an offence to allow fish or game to spoil. Be sure that you know what the limits are for the license in your possession. Enforcement officers will patrol using trails and aircraft.


FOREST FIRE PREVENTION ACT: It is an offence to leave a campfire unattended/smoke while walking or working in the woods/start an open fire in a Restricted  Fire Zone/ignite fireworks without a permit & failure to fully extinguish a fire before leaving it. It is your responsibility to ensure that fires are properly extinguished and if a forest fire results from your negligence, you can be held financially responsible.


PUBLIC LANDS ACT: It is an offence to deposit garbage on any land or in any water. Garbage that is decomposable (fish entrails/old food etc) should be taken across the lake and dumped in from the shore. All paper/cardboard garbage should be burned (as long as you are not in a restricted fire zone), and any other products should be put in garbage bags to be flown out of the bush.


WILD CREATURES: There are a number of issues in regards to our wilderness creatures. First off we have for large game, bears and moose. No deer are present in the area. For smaller critters and wildlife the most common would be muskrats, beaver, mink, pine martin, squirrels, chipmunks, lynx, fox and wolves. Birds would be all sorts of ducks, loons, eagles and hawks. This is their home so if you need pictures of any of these creatures, give them some space and snap all you want. Our most common question is Bears and the inherent fear that the Discovery channel has put in the public’s eye. Now I would not want to say that bears are harmless, but they are shy creatures that will run from you most of the time. The biggest issue with bears is there are times when they are literally starving and will seek food wherever they can find it. So be a good camper and be aware of this fact. We have never had a bear attack any customers in 32 years, although we have had customers attack bears (go figure), but the prudent and wise individual should give these animals some distance. So please do not call and tell us you need a gun or bear spray. It is more important to not provide these creatures a reason to come to your campsite. . Please do not burn food in the fire pit, since this attracts animals including bears.


OPERATION OF RENTAL OUTBOARD MOTORS: The most important function of an outboard motor is the familiarization of the operator using the motor. The first rule is to check to ensure that the motor is secure to the back of the boat. After that ensure that you have adequate fuel and the hose connection from the tank is secure to the motor. There are also a variety of tanks and if there is a gauge on the tank manufactures will put a breathing hole on the gauge. If the tank has no gauge it must have a breathing device built into the cap. Please open this cap so air will be in the tank. On checkout of a motor with our guests we familiarize them with locations of tilt mechanisms and pins/starting procedures/choke operation/refueling/propeller shear pin location if necessary/ and any little nuances regarding that type of motor. It is relatively fast if all persons are paying attention. Of course we encourage operators to stay away from the rocks/do not drive in the sand/do not tilt motor up using throttle handle/and if the water is shallow lock motor in the up position at the dock. More damage is caused to boats and motors at the dock than any other location. Usually this happens in high winds, so please ensure that boats & motors are secure at the dock and protected from rubbing into one another. Good Boats and Motors are a major investment for the operation.


WAIVER OF LIABILITY: Wilderness recreation is not without risk. There are few or no roads penetrating the wilderness areas we operate in. All guests should be aware of inherent risks associated with a wilderness experience. Ex: operation of mechanical equipment including Boats & Motors/Walking & Hiking/Weather etc. It is your responsibility as a guest to ensure that you are participating in an appropriate fashion. There are few incidents in the wilderness but a disproportionate # of incidences is related to alcohol and bad weather. Please note that we carry proper insurance for our aircraft.

We hope that these tips and helpful reminders will make your vacation a fantastic experience and that once is not enough, and you will be back.

We have also for the first time posted this information on the website and if there are ideas to add to this, please let us know.


George, Jeanne, Joel and Jenna Theriault and the more than 20 helpful staff making your dream vacation come true.